Mathew Maavak, a connection of mine on Linkedin posted a United Kingdom (UK) Telegraph article about the much ballyhooed sculpture outside the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Headquarters in Langley, Virginia.
The paragraph describing the sculpture on the public website of the Agency gives away its hidden meaning:
James Sanborn’s sculpture, Kryptos (meaning “hidden” in Greek), begins at the entrance to NHB and continues in the northwest corner of the NHB courtyard. Dedicated on November 3, 1990, the theme of this three-part installation is “intelligence gathering.” Kryptos incorporates materials native to the United States. A piece of petrified wood supports a large S-shaped copper screen that looks like a piece of paper coming out of a computer printer. On the “paper” is a coded message using the alphabet encoded with frequency tables. The sculpture continues to be a source of pleasure and mystery for Agency employees, with a few taking the challenge to “break the code.”
(1) Obviously, its name kryptos, implies looking for hidden meaning not the literalism and to mean the beginning of coded communications.
(2) S-shape sigmoid mathematical function algorithm to generate the frequency tables of recurrence of letters for encryption/decryption and the sculpture of Aphrodite for S in art.
S, in my view, also represents the historical time series of the rise and fall of cultures and values.
(3) Copper as the beginning of civilization attributed to Atlantis of Plato’s dialogs Timaeus and Critias about Athens and Egypt with Solon – the giver of the code of law or constitution to Greece.
(4) All mediums on which writing has been impressed since the granite of the Rosetta Stone to petrified wood, paper and printing and later the electronic medium of quartz crystals used to determine the clock speed of computers.
(5) Compass rose (Pentagram used by Leonardo Da Vinci and the Rose line north to south through Greenwich, England, zero-degrees longitude or Universal Coordinated Time – UTC) and lodestone to mean navigation from England to found the Colony of Virginia in the New World.
(6) The jumbled letters laid out as 4 paragraphs/columns each with 15 rows bear close resemblance to Plimpton 322, the Babylonian clay tablet, and its association to Yale University’s undergraduate Skull and Bones Society which founded the CIA in 1947 with support from William Donovan of the Department of War.
Also, the 4 New Testament Gospels can be attributed to the 4 paragraphs and represented on the entrance wall of the CIA “And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free (John 8:32, King James Version).”
(7) In two columns the entire English alphabet is repeated, embedding in it the words “Kryptos” and “Cryptos” in patterns as follows: Kryptos, Aryptos, Byptos, Cptos, Dtos and so on.
(8) These same 2 columns in (8) appear to be inverted versions of each other.
(9) The missing letters represented by ? (Virginia Tech student killer had used ? in his shootings), by my reason being O and Q in that order for alphabet numbers 15 and 17 representing the year 1517 for the beginning of the Protestant Reformation, Protestant Queen Elizabeth I (letters UEEN in that order in a paragraph with many Qs), founder of the Virginia Colony, embedded in the jumble of the 26 letters of the English alphabet: meaning hidden/embedded in the noise or chatter of communication.
(10) Civilization is English. The Democratic Republic of United States of America is an extension of the English Monarchy and Empire since George Washington and John Adams to defeat Catholic French power (Louis XVI) by diplomacy and war.
The 20-year long American revolution (number 20 for English alphabet letter T which repeats several times in one paragraph) from 1763-1783 was, in my view, an orchestration/fabrication by the English in European geopolitics aided by the colonists Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson to defeat the Dutch and French powers in America in the New York and Louisiana colonies respectively.
Knowledge – the forbidden, hidden, secret, Kryptos – is in language bequeathed by Eve to Adam, S the forever tempting serpent.
“I recollected that her eye excelled in brightness, that of any other animal, and that she has no eye-lids—She may therefore be esteemed an emblem of vigilance.—She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage.—As if anxious to prevent all pretensions of quarreling with her, the weapons with which nature has furnished her, she conceals in the roof of her mouth, so that, to those who are unacquainted with her, she appears to be a most defenseless animal; and even when those weapons are shewn and extended for her defense, they appear weak and contemptible; but their wounds however small, are decisive and fatal:—Conscious of this, she never wounds till she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of stepping on her.—Was I wrong, Sir, in thinking this a strong picture of the temper and conduct of America?”
Benjamin Franklin (“American Guesser”), Pennsylvania Journal, 1775